“Birth is not only about making babies, birth is about making mothers….strong, competent, capable mothers who trust themselves and know their inner strength.”
– Barbara Katz Rothman
WHAT DO DOULAS DO?
– Provide continuous emotional support and physical comfort throughout pregnancy, labor and delivery and postpartum.
– Help women to have shorter labors with a decrease in interventions and less need for drugs
– Help formulate a birth plan which helps to facilitate dialogue between a woman and her healthcare provider
– Will join you in labor WHENEVER you are ready for help, whether you are still at home or in the hospital
– Teach women and their partners coping strategies: breathing, visualization, positions, acupressure, massage
– Provide tips for dealing with difficult situations
– Work as a member of your healthcare team
– Support your choices whatever they may be
– Help women to develop confidence
– Advocate for the mother, by helping her find her own voice (not by speaking for her)
– Videotaping or photographing the birth
ADDITIONAL BENEFITS TO THE BIRTH PARTNER INCLUDE:
– Reassurance that the processes of birth are normal and desirable
– Continuous presence during the labor encourages the partner to participate at his/her own comfort level
– During a long labor will ensure that the birth partner has the rest and nourishment they need
I WILL BE USING PAIN MEDICATION, DO I STILL NEED A DOULA?
Yes, as your doula, I will provide information about options, be reassuring and nurturing, give you a massage, help with breathing and pushing, give your partner a break, and help and assist with breastfeeding.
I AM SCHEDULING A CESAREAN BIRTH, DO I STILL NEED A DOULA?
– I will provide information about Cesarean births and options you may have
– Attend you in the operating room (with Doctors’ permission) and stay with you when your partner leaves to go with baby
– Take photos and video (if allowed)
– Help establish breastfeeding